Bad connections do melt fuse holders

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
I know somebody disagreed with @Massive spl; a while ago. They said that a loose connection couldn't melt a fuse holder. There wouldn't be enough heat to do it, and the fuse would probably blow before it got hot enough to melt the plastic.

Well, they were wrong. I pulled up to a stop light and all my gauges reset randomly. All the dials turned to minimum and the lights went off, then everything came back on, including my "check battery" light. When I got to school, I popped the hood and looked for a problem. I smelled something and saw the fuse was warped. The connection was loose and it had gotten hot. It burnt off all the gold plating, lol. I loosened the nut with a wrench, then went to take it off the bold with my fingers. I didn't know how hot it was and I literally heard my fingers sizzle :crap:

Then I replaced the fuse holder and fuse, making sure to tighten it down. I don't know if it vibrated loose, or I forgot to tighten it down the last time I removed it to work on electrical safely

IMG_20160219_173247_729_zpsejnhcndl.jpg

The fuse was not blown

IMG_20160219_173256_213_zpsrgmijnif.jpg

IMG_20160219_173238_699_zpsxolpjkfj.jpg

Melted a hole in my fuse box cover too! :eek:

IMG_20160219_173805_007_zps0nwvclsl.jpg

IMG_20160219_181541_532_zpseeuh6smn.jpg

i remember my first melted fuse holder..

N8dSW03.jpg

due to cca wire for the most part, any wire thats exposed under the hood corrodes into dust

Yeah, I was just giving proof that it does happen. I wish I could find the post and quote it

Been there done that. I quit buying cheap fuse holders too.
I got a ton of Shok fuse holders. I've got like 10 sitting up in my room, lol. They're not super expensive, but I don't think they're bad

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.