Looking for sub, enclosure & amp suggestions for SQ

Participant count
  • Participant list

jazzmonkey

Hello,

I'd really appreciate some sub suggestions on a project I'm undertaking. I haven’t undertaken a car audio project since 2003, so I’m a bit out of the loop being that I’ve had the same gear since then that I’ve carried over between different vehicles. Furthermore, I’ve always bought my gear from Crutchfield or a local car audio store, so I’ve been limiting myself to their selection. I know there are other great brands out there besides JL, Alpine, MTX, Kenwood, and Kicker, I’m just not familiar with them. This is why I’d really appreciate some input from the folks here.

My ride is a 2005 Prius.

Here's what's being installed in my car tomorrow:

Alpine CDE-HD138BT head unit

Alpine SPR-60C front

Alpine SPR-60 rear

I'm looking for maximum SQ. Although feeling the bass is a must, I'm willing to sacrifice SPL for SQ.

I'm thinking a sealed box for space saving and tightness/response purposes, but I'm not opposed to a ported box if it will better suit my requirements, which are:

Accuracy.

Tight & punchy.

Balanced response throughout the frequency range, I'm not obsessed about getting super low.
I have always been disappointed by my subs in the past for lackluster performance in the upper midrange area. I've always felt like there was a small gap in the reproduction of the midrange bass. I want to feel the midrange like during a bass guitar fill. I've always had Kicker competition 12s.
I don't want to sacrifice a great deal of cargo space in the back, so I'm thinking a sealed single sub. On the other hand, I've been seriously considering a box with multiple 8s.

I also need a good amp suggestion. I was initially thinking 5 channel for simplicity's sake, but now I’m thinking that a 4 channel and a mono may be the way to go.

I tried searching a bit last night, but didn’t have a lot of success, and searching the sub forum for SQ didn’t work out, I guess the a search term is too short.

Years ago I would have had endless time to search the forums, and would have done all of the installation myself. Now that I work 5 days a week and spend 3-4 hours a day commuting, I just don’t have that kind of time, so I’m paying for installation and posting for suggestions.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post, and I will be grateful for any suggestions that may be offered.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.