Need sealed advice!

Participant count
  • Participant list

av83
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Midwest
I'm trying to gain a bit of trunk room, and increase sq a bit while I'm at it. I am considering building it to fit flush with the trunk pass-through opening, and have the sub behind the larger of the fold down seat-backs. That way I can always have that one down, and have a usable seat.

malibu_2008_rear_seat.jpg

Different car, same seat/location^

Would that be a good idea? I can't seem to get winisd to agree with my crappy desktop. Even if I could, there's too much knowledge/experience around here not to ask.... What would be a good volume for a sealed enclosure. Vehicle is a 2005 Malibu.

Specs for the sub below, its the one in my sig.

* f(s)= 32.30 Hz

* R(e)= 0.83 Ohms

* Z(max)= 16.12 Ohms

* Q(ms)= 9.635

* Q(es)= 0.524

* Q(ts)= 0.497

* V(as)= 98.150 liters (3.466 cubic feet)

* L(e)= 1.62 mH

* n(0)= 0.60 %

* SPL= 89.89 1W/1m

* M(ms)= 342.70 grams

* C(ms)= 0.07 mm/N

* BL= 10.50

You'll lose a lot of output going sealed FYI. From personal experience I can say that sealed boxes are very forgiving as far as volume. winISD shows @ 3.3 cube, but it looks like you may give up a lot of low extension IMO particularly if you plan to fire into the cabin. I'd feel better about running sealed if you were going to fire into a corner or something since I've found that sort of loading off a wall will give you a little more low extension where firing into the cabin generally loses.

Is there a way you can screw a piece of plywood over the port of your current box and see if the response is tolerable?

Also if you have winISD model this in 4th order, the response looks pretty good so if you wanted to play with that alignment you could do a lot worse for choice of subs.

You'll lose a lot of output going sealed FYI. From personal experience I can say that sealed boxes are very forgiving as far as volume. winISD shows @ 3.3 cube, but it looks like you may give up a lot of low extension IMO particularly if you plan to fire into the cabin. I'd feel better about running sealed if you were going to fire into a corner or something since I've found that sort of loading off a wall will give you a little more low extension where firing into the cabin generally loses.
Is there a way you can screw a piece of plywood over the port of your current box and see if the response is tolerable?

Also if you have winISD model this in 4th order, the response looks pretty good so if you wanted to play with that alignment you could do a lot worse for choice of subs.
I know I'll lose some output going sealed, and I can deal with that. I am more concerned with gaining space and having an enclosure that can maximize sq, while still remaining loud enough to keep up with a fairly stout front stage. As much as I love the way this combo gets super low and loud off of relatively low power, it takes up the vast majority of my trunk, and I need some of it back. I may be mistaken, but i was under the impression that loading off of a corner/wall/etc changed the response curve, and I'm looking to make it more even. From 30hz up, anyways. It seems to heavily favor the 30hz zone, and taper off quickly after 40.

Here's what it looks like now, except the p1250d is in place of the 2k Quart in the pic.

trunkshot.jpg

I am having trouble loading the sub parameters into winisd, or I would get to know it better. It keeps telling me that the numbers conflict with each other.

I get a Qtc of ~.707 at 3.38 cubes, that'll be too big if you are talking about serious power. What's the rms on the woofer and the rms you are giving it. I'd do like 2-2.5 cubes probably.

I get a Qtc of ~.707 at 3.38 cubes, that'll be too big if you are talking about serious power. What's the rms on the woofer and the rms you are giving it. I'd do like 2-2.5 cubes probably.
Did you recognize your work, sir? Lol, the enclosure in my last post was the one you designed for me for a txx-be15.

The sub is a shocker super extreme(tc9 varient)motor w/tc 3" d1.6 coil and 2 spiders(don't recall stiffness). Sub rms is assumed to be 1300ish(but was loud and proud with a maxxsonics 2k, for a few months). Amp is currently an old USA-made Planet Audio p1250d. I won't be able to use it much longer without getting it repaired, though. It has two caps that are starting to swell. But I'll be staying under (or well under) 1500 rms no matter what. I am considering a change to two d2 10's or 12's to run off the autotek, but I love this sub, lol.

Did you recognize your work, sir? Lol, the enclosure in my last post was the one you designed for me for a txx-be15.
The sub is a shocker super extreme(tc9 varient)motor w/tc 3" d1.6 coil and 2 spiders(don't recall stiffness). Sub rms is assumed to be 1300ish(but was loud and proud with a maxxsonics 2k, for a few months). Amp is currently an old USA-made Planet Audio p1250d. I won't be able to use it much longer without getting it repaired, though. It has two caps that are starting to swell. But I'll be staying under (or well under) 1500 rms no matter what. I am considering a change to two d2 10's or 12's to run off the autotek, but I love this sub, lol.
Well hot damn!

I'd still just do 2-2.5 cubes or maybe switch to a ported 10 or something.

Well hot damn!
I'd still just do 2-2.5 cubes or maybe switch to a ported 10 or something.
Thanks. I'll throw one together out of scraps to see what it sounds like. If i like it, I'll build a nice one. If not, I'll move on. My lil brother has been begging me for it, lol.

That enclosure made that sub sound amazing, btw... People were blown away to see a $350 sub/amp combo perform like this..

Thanks. I'll throw one together out of scraps to see what it sounds like. If i like it, I'll build a nice one. If not, I'll move on. My lil brother has been begging me for it, lol.That enclosure made that sub sound amazing, btw... People were blown away to see a $350 sub/amp combo perform like this..

Ya man, looks like it's doing work.

I think it would be difficult to hurt that sub with 1200W I would agree that if space is an issue going smaller on the box shouldn't make a huge difference at all. If you don't mind sacrificing 30hz area I suspect it'll do well. Very curious to hear how it works for you sealed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.