Researched and narrowed it to three, which would you choose?

Which amp to power a 600w rms 12" DVC sub, 2ohm load?

• Total voters
Ya looks like you have been around awhile... my mistake lol... The Onyx does look nice there as well
Bah' date=' I'm still mad noobish.

Any of them should treat you well if you wire correctly
That's one thing already taken care of. Never skimp on my wiring. But none the less, good call.

Guess I do have uber noob status. Rightfully so with almost no posts. I just lurk but never comment. Been around a while but it's not really my scene so I keep to myself. ;-)
And yes, they really do. Was initially concerned about the lack o CEA mark but after reading some reviews off site that were very positive, bench tested well and whatnot. That and since it just edges out the Hifonics, plus build quality and Hifonics rep for not being overly bulletproof... of the two I would go with the ONYX.

35894568.png

I also found a lot of positive things about the Audioque as well. But at some point you can't just go off numbers, hence why I started this thread.
so...... looking at they're fuse ratings (70A x2 - which is around about 1400wrms, give or take)... the hifonics will be able to deliver its rated 1200wrms but the MB wont be able to deliver its rated 1500wrms.??

i know its not exact.. & the MB probably could push its rated power through the fusing, but that one point would put me off the MB personally.

edit......

i just noticed the hifonics is CEA certified & the MB isnt....lol, so that basically explains my post in a nutshell. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

so...... looking at they're fuse ratings (70A x2 - which is around about 1400wrms, give or take)... the hifonics will be able to deliver its rated 1200wrms but the MB wont be able to deliver its rated 1500wrms.??
i know its not exact.. & the MB probably could push its rated power through the fusing, but that one point would put me off the MB personally.

edit......

i just noticed the hifonics is CEA certified & the MB isnt....lol, so that basically explains my post in a nutshell. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
lutz my discus has 2 70 amp fuses on it also but i clamped it on my last box and it was doing 1461 watts at 2 ohm. others have said they got 1600-1700 at one ohm.

This is exactly what I kept reading, especially in each thread (not just here) that mentioned both of the others. Obviously the 2200d is in an entirely different category, but it's comments like this that weigh heavily with me.
What are you running with it?
Tru different amps but built in the same build house using the same parts so there quality should be equal. I am running a Pap's WMD2 12 @ 1ohm.

in order imho

aq

mb quart

hifonics

granted i own an aq amp, ive read mb quart is good for the money(only read a couple bad things about the quality) but hifonics ive just read so much bad stuff i wouldnt buy it, top of the line or not

AQ gets my vote. I've used the AQ1200d for a few things with no problems. It's been reliable and done its job properly. Decent footprint, cosmetically appealing. Not going against the others, simply stating my preference and experience.

Best wishes.

Man, I just got a brand new MB Quart Onyx 1.1500D. Wish I could give you a review, but I haven't been able to run it yet. I've been trouble shooting my system. (might be something wrong in the HU, RCA area). I would say these three are pretty much on the same level. I know some don't like the AQ's quality. Some ding MB Quarts cause their Maxxsonic now and not their older German counterparts, but the newer Onyx line looks promising. Most thing being the same, I went with MB Quart cause of the 2 guage inputs, output wattage(500,1000,1500), and they are kinda sexy lookin. I'm running 2-12" sub right now, and plan on switching over to one higher wattage 10".

Think I got mine for $210 on ebay...

so...... looking at they're fuse ratings (70A x2 - which is around about 1400wrms, give or take)... the hifonics will be able to deliver its rated 1200wrms but the MB wont be able to deliver its rated 1500wrms.??i know its not exact.. & the MB probably could push its rated power through the fusing, but that one point would put me off the MB personally.

edit......

I found it a bit odd that in MBQ's 2011 amp lineup, the Reference, Q, and Formula lines were all CEA compliant yet the Onyx was not. But after coming across multiple comments and reviews like this...

lutz my discus has 2 70 amp fuses on it also but i clamped it on my last box and it was doing 1461 watts at 2 ohm. others have said they got 1600-1700 at one ohm.
... it became less and less of a concern. Thought I'm still curious as to why it's not.

Man, I just got a brand new MB Quart Onyx 1.1500D. Wish I could give you a review, but I haven't been able to run it yet. I've been trouble shooting my system. (might be something wrong in the HU, RCA area). I would say these three are pretty much on the same level. I know some don't like the AQ's quality. Some ding MB Quarts cause their Maxxsonic now and not their older German counterparts, but the newer Onyx line looks promising. Most thing being the same, I went with MB Quart cause of the 2 guage inputs, output wattage(500,1000,1500), and they are kinda sexy lookin. I'm running 2-12" sub right now, and plan on switching over to one higher wattage 10".
Think I got mine for $210 on ebay...
Yeah, read through your thread Andy (funny title BTW). Sorry to hear you're having issues. My gut says HU, but that's more b/c it's a Sony than anything else. Never had a lot of faith in their car audio stuff. Perhaps try swapping something else in. Hope you get it sorted accordingly.

With the exception of the AQ's quality, I'd concur with everything you've mentioned.

Brz 1200 ALL DAYYY everyone is loving them. And they look beastley!!...BtW the brz is 170$ on ebay
Yeah, that price can't be ignored. But more so than this was the comment a guy from my Audi forum made...

"I run this in my car with two type r's. Temps where i live can reach into the 100's with 90% humidity. So i would say the trunk gets fairly warm. Not once has my amp shut off due to heat. Great amp for a great price."

Audi makes a well insulated trunk and my Alpine MRP-M1000 will go into protection mode when it's a tad warm outside or it's been going strong for about an hour. So, the fact that the Hifonics can handle the heat was another large consideration factor.

Tru different amps but built in the same build house using the same parts so there quality should be equal. I am running a Pap's WMD2 12 @ 1ohm.
Yes, of course. Was just trying to establish a linear connection between what I'm going to run and your system. Like you said, same parts so if you can run the Pap @ 1ohm I shouldn't have a problem running the RE @ 2.

in order imhoaq

mb quart

hifonics

granted i own an aq amp, ive read mb quart is good for the money(only read a couple bad things about the quality) but hifonics ive just read so much bad stuff i wouldnt buy it, top of the line or not
Truth be told, this is my current order as well. Have also found the same. Although as Bettr n' Revrse mentioned last nite, it would appear that the BRZ is of better quality than older offerings by Hifonics.

But the fact that you do own an AQ amp is significant. Do you find the need to run the gains higher than expected? Found that comment in a few random places with AQ amps.

AQ gets my vote. I've used the AQ1200d for a few things with no problems. It's been reliable and done its job properly. Decent footprint' date=' cosmetically appealing. Not going against the others, simply stating my preference and experience.
Best wishes.[/quote']

And I appreciate your opinion (and everyone's as well). No one really has anything bad to say about this amp which is why it keeps getting edged to the top.

Too many people confuse amps that do rated power with those that are underrated. I highly doubt that the AQ is underrated. Too many nuthuggers on this forum to cover up to proof. I don't see any reason, besides looks, why the AQ should cost any more.

Given that the MBQ has the highest power rating, that is more than likely honest, I would go for it. But watch out for the mounting feet, they are plastic. Good lookin amps though, and stout power delivery. I have had experience with the ONYX 1000.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...